Heat = sticky children. It’s amazing that we are finally having some good weather in the UK. Although I can remember a small handful of good summers since I moved here at the end of 2002, by far the best weather summer I’ve had was last year when I spent 7 weeks of my maternity leave back on Long Island!
Now that we’ve finally got some heat and sunshine on this side of the pond, I feel like we don’t know how to handle it or what to do with ourselves. People are ecstatic, delirious, tired and melting. Me included. But I’m embracing the heat; even with the stickiness it brings in all varieties where my children are concerned. And there are many….
- Sweaty brows and bodies, not helped by LLC discovering she can lick the salt off them….gross
- Cement-like paste clinging to most of LMM’s clothes and body from his adventures with sand and water….and he likes nothing better than to wipe his dirty hands in my hair
- Melted ice cream…they love it, but half of it melts all over them every time
- Hot heads….I’ve finally convinced LLC to pull her hair back at night in the interest of cooling comfort
- Chocolate from a cookie melted all over LLC’s toes….as she rolled around my bed and left a brown trail in her wake
- The ever present brand of white SPF 50 sun block….smeared on children and the stroller / car seat / furniture
But we can wear dresses without shivering so this is all a small price to pay….let’s celebrate people!